2 the specific site of a particular gene on its chromosome
3 the set of all points or lines that satisfy or are determined by specific conditions; "the locus of points equidistant from a given point is a circle" [also: loci (pl)]
- A place or locality, especially a centre of activity or the scene of a crime.
- The cafeteria was the locus of activity.
- The set of all points whose coordinates satisfy a given equation or condition.
- A circle is the locus of points from which the distance to the center is a given value, the radius.
- (genetics) A fixed position on a chromosome that may be occupied by one or more genes.
place or locality
set of all points given by an equation or condition
- Greek: τόπος
- Japanese: (, kiseki)
position on a chromosome
Nounlocus (plural loci)
The word locus (plural loci) is Latin for "place":
- Locus (psychology), in industrial psychology, having an internal or external locus of control
- Locus (genetics), the position of a gene (or other significant sequence) on a chromosome
- Locus (mathematics), the set of points satisfying a particular condition, often forming a curve of some sort
- Locus (medicine), the "place" on the body where a pathogen enters
- Locus (phonetics), the hypothetical starting point of the formant transitions that characterise plosive consonants acoustically
- In the classics, literature or theology, locus (or locus classicus) marks the first appearance of a phrase or the definitive passage that is authoritative for an idea
- Locus (law), in Scots Law, the place which is the location of a crime or incident subject of lawful or legal enquiry
- Loci is a nickname for rapper Ja Rule
- Loci (band), an alt-rock band from Bristol, United Kingdom
Locus may also refer to:
- LOCUS (Level of Care Utilization System), a clinical level of care placement tool for psychiatric and addictions services, developed by the American Association of Community Psychiatrists
(magazine), a magazine carrying news about science fiction
- Locus Award, presented to the winners of Locus magazine's annual readers' poll
- Locus Suspectus, a Canadian contemporary arts magazine
- Locus (Art Magazine), a Baltimore, Maryland-based art journal showcasing emerging visual artists.
- Locus Computing Corporation developed the LOCUS clustering operating system, as well as the Merge 8086 virtual machine implementation.
- LOCUS Operating System started as a clustering OS research project at UCLA, and was then developed into a commercial product by Locus Computing Corporation in the 1980s
- method of loci, a mnemonic system
- Locus, is a racing computer game set in the future
- LOCI or LO:CI, a fan shorthand for the TV series Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Locus (comics), a Marvel Comics Mutant and supervillain
- Locus Plethore, a Canadian supercar
locus in Bulgarian: Локус
locus in German: Locus
locus in French: Locus (homonymie)
locus in Hebrew: לוקוס
locus in Japanese: 軌跡
locus in Dutch: Locus
locus in Polish: Locus